Wednesday, November 01, 2006

How to Win Races


I have been a runner for my entire life – running races competitively since I was only seven years old. Running is not only an activity, but it is also a powerful metaphor from which one can gain life lessons -- Lessons that apply to one’s spiritual journey as well as lessons of leadership.

The apostle Paul preferred this metaphor as one can see from his writings (there are nearly enough Scriptures about running to create a theology of running:
1 Corinthians 9:24 "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize."
Galatians 5:7 "You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth?"
2 Timothy 4:7 "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."
Hebrews 12:1 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

I was recently asked to speak at our School of Leadership on the topic of "winning races". Based on my experience, here are the keys to achieving this goal. I know from experience that if I do these things I can quickly rise to top of my game.

Hard, consistent training (discipline)

There are no shortcuts. Set a goal, starting with reality. Establish a plan to get you from here to there. Every run has a purpose and world class runners are committed to world class training programs – they work hard!

Overcoming Pain and Boredom

Tolerance of failure without discouragement – sometime you’ll have a bad day.

Good Coaching

I am not motivated enough to be successful without the input and the accountability that a coach provides

Good Training Partners

They need to be close to my ability, or better than me. I need to train with them at least 2x/week.

Rest

Staying healthy and injury free is essential. Avoid overtraining.

An effective strategy

Pacing – the most efficient way to run is to run an exact pace. (Patience)
Knowing when to make a move – seize opportunities and don't look back. Keep moving up.

Overcoming Losses

Losses pave the path to victory. There are more races ahead. Losses are still good workouts and learning experiences.

A Winning Attitude

See yourself as a world class runner and you will have the confidence to compete with those whom you would otherwise be intimidated by.

Which of these areas do you need to work on the most today to improve as a leader?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt, some of my most important life lessons have come through running races--endurance, stamina, team support, and mental toughness. You were a vital part of much of that, serving as my cross country coach. Thanks for passing on these lessons. They are good reminders to me and others.