Saturday, November 17, 2012

Interesting Article

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/17/us/andy-stanley/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

I just read this article, and recently read the book, Deep and Wide.  I found the story to be fascinating and disappointing.  I was a little disappointed because I have always been a "fan" of this family, but I had never heard of the divorce or the family fights.  Still, it is no big surprise - I've been around long enough to not be surprised by much of anything.  I respect the honesty in hearing their story and seeing them work through the challenges they faced.  I admire their teachings, writing and the way God has used them to influence millions of people.

What was especially disappointing to me is to see the comments that follow the article.  The amount of pain that people express due to their negative experiences or negative perceptions of church/church leadership is very disappointing.

I believe that this perception and these experiences can be changed but it will only happen as we feed the hungry, clothe the naked, care for the sick, visit the prisoner; LOVE "The Least".

Scripture is clear: love is our greatest command and the greatest of all things.  Obviously, we have a lot of work to do in order for this to be seen and heard.  I know that Christianity will always be met by some hostility -- we will "be persecuted" (and Jesus, though He was the perfect embodiment of love and compassion,  was crucified).

All we can do is our part in tearing down the negative perceptions of Christianity -- we are a faith of love in action not a religion for narrow minded self righteous people.   

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Love is so important. I really enjoyed this article and your comments. I admire Andy Stanley and am reminded once again that we are all human and have room to grow in Jesus.