Monday, October 12, 2009

iPray Quotes

Here are some of my favorite quotes on prayer:

I have so much to do that I spend several hours in prayer before I am able to do it.
—John Wesley
I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had absolutely no other place to go.
-- Abraham Lincoln
Wishing will never be a substitute for prayer.
--Ed Cole
Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?
-- Corrie Ten Boom
Of all the duties enjoined by Christianity none is more essential and yet more neglected than prayer.
--François Fénelon
The Third Petition of the Lord's Prayer is repeated daily by millions who have not the slightest intention of letting anyone's will be done but their own.
--Aldous Huxley
There is a general kind of praying which fails for lack of precision. It is as if a regiment of soldiers should all fire off their guns anywhere. Possibly somebody would be killed, but the majority of the enemy would be missed.
--Charles Haddon Spurgeon
When I pray, coincidences happen, and when I don't pray, they don't.
--William Temple
Faith in a prayer-hearing God will make a prayer-loving Christian.
--Andrew Murray
Pray, and let God worry.
-- Martin Luther
God's answers are wiser than our prayers.
–Unknown
I must secure more time for private devotions. I have been living far too public for me. The shortening of devotions starves the soul, it grows lean and faint. I have been keeping too late hours.
--William Wilberforce
Accustom yourself gradually to carry Prayer into all your daily occupation -- speak, act, work in peace, as if you were in prayer, as indeed you ought to be.
--François Fénelon
Prayer is not so much an act as it is an attitude—an attitude of dependency, dependency upon God.
--Arthur W. Pink
Prayer does not fit us for the greater work, prayer is the greater work.
--Oswald Chambers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great quotes, thanks for sharing. My favorite is the last one: prayer is the greater work. The enemy has so deceived the body of Christ, otherwise we would have more prayer gatherings and the "prayer" service would be attended more than anything else. Without prayer nothing happens, god designed it that way. Your article about the decline in the church in the west, well it may solely be due to lack of prayer...